Jan 4, 2022
In this month’s AJP Audio, Dr Margert Haney
(Director of the Cannabis Research Laboratory at Columbia
Psychiatry) discusses her new review from the January issue of the
American Journal of Psychiatry, “Cannabis Use and the
Endocannabinoid System: A Clinical Perspective,” and the questions
around the legal status of cannabis research. Afterward, Dr.
Ned Kalin, Editor-in-Chief of
the Journal discusses the January 2022 issue
- Haney interview: How does cannabis interact with our brains?
- CBD and how it’s different [01:26]
- Impact of state legalization of cannabis on research
- Federal attitudes towards cannabis legalization [03:43]
- A single source of cannabis for research [04:57]
- Limitations on research and an expanding, unexamined market
- Marketing of other cannabinoids [06:38]
- Consequences of cannabis legalization [08:06]
- Cannabis use disorder [08:36]
- What happens with daily cannabis use – and abrupt cessation?
- What happens to your endocannabinoid system with daily use?
- A proliferating market and constrained research [11:56]
- Patients foregoing FDA-approved medication in favor of cannabis
- There’s a reason we have randomized controlled clinical trials
with placebo [12:37]
- Changes in cannabis use and abuse [13:31]
- Public perception of cannabis use disorder [14:26]
- What’s next for cannabis research? [15:20]
- Loosening of cannabis sources [16:03]
- No US source for CBD to study [16:36]
- Future changes in the status quo? [17:24]
- Importance of the endogenous cannabinoid system [18:41]
- Potential consequences during vulnerable times in brain
development: in utero and adolescence [19:08]
- Marketing cannabis to pregnant women [19:45]
- Kalin interview [20:30]
Alcohol and cannabis use disorders [20:39]
Browne et al. [22:34]
Livne et al. [23:31]
Mellentin et al. [25:38]
Mallard et al. [27:39]
- In sum [28:30]
Be sure to let your colleagues know about the podcast, and
please rate and review it on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts,
Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you listen to it.
Subscribe to the podcast here.
Listen to other
podcasts produced by the American Psychiatric
Browse articles online.
Watch Deputy Editor Daniel S. Pine, M.D., present highlights from the May 2021
How authors may submit their
Follow the journals of APA Publishing on Twitter.
E-mail us at email@example.com